<Back to Articles
Information for New Clients
· 5 days per week
· 30-60 minutes per session
· Done AFTER your weight training or first thing in the AM = most effective
· Variety in intensity and type of exercise will help you reach goals quicker
· 3 days per week
· 30-45 minutes per session
· 1-3 sets per exercise
· 6-20 reps per set
· Intensity and Consistency is the key!
· At least 3 days per week of 30-60 minutes of aerobic activity.
· Aerobic activity = walking, running, biking, swimming, etc
· Pay attention to your heart rate (consider a heart rate monitor).
Men: 220-age=maximum heart rate
Women: 226-age=maximum heart rate
· Heart rate goal - 60-85% of your max heart rate.
(These prediction equations are a good rule of thumb; however, depending on your training history they can vary ±30 bpm. ALWAYS be aware of how you are feeling!)
· Try the talk test-if you can carry on a detailed conversation without feeling short of breath, you are NOT working hard enough. However, you should be able to provide quick answers and a friendly “hello”.
· It is best to do your cardio directly after your strength training session or first thing in the morning.
REMEMBER, if you are going to put in the time, work hard---the results are worth it!!
· First rule, not eating is NOT an option! (DO NOT SKIP BREAKFAST) · 5-6 small meals a day · Each meal comprised of small portions (each) of complex carbohydrates, low fat protein and vegetables. · Drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. · Limit intake of sugar, white flour and all processed foods. · Don’t forget your post workout meal-think protein and complex carbs! (try to consume this meal within 30-60 minutes after your workout)
· Your body needs to be warm before you stretch. Best time to stretch is after your warm-up or exercise session. · You can and should stretch everyday! · Remember, NO pain! Hold each stretch for 10-30 seconds. · Be creative! Use towels, resistance balls, Pilates circle, etc. to aid your stretching routine. · Make it a routine…do not allow yourself to skip your stretching regimen especially after a cardio or weight training session!
QUICK CHECK LIST:
Formwell training days:
· Hydration (drink plenty of water before and after your workout!) · Warm-up 5-10 minutes before your training appointment. · Take advantage of your trainer and work hard! · Communication (let your trainer know how you are feeling!) · STRETCH-it is the best part of your training session! · Cardio - remember it is best to do cardio directly after a strength training session. Aim for 30+ minutes but anything is better than nothing! · Continue drinking water! · Consume a good post-workout meal within 30-60 minutes after your workout! · Get some rest! Aim for 8 hours per night.
· Cardio - 30-60 minutes on most days of the week. · Consider cross-training (participate in different activities…try a sport, go hiking, take your kids to the park, garden, etc.) · GOOD nutrition. Be conscious of what you are eating and aim for small meals throughout the day!